dbf import in excel problem
Franky De Medts
2003-11-24 15:19:25 UTC
cavo26
windows 98 and windows xp

i frequently import dbf files in excel and that works fine
i have one dbf file which is not recognized by excel (neither in access)
the dbf file is with a ntx index (but i import just the dbf file)

can this problem be fixed??
--
Franky De Medts
rossCOM - TIMVEST BVBA
www.rosscom.be
Geoff Schaller
www.rosscom.be
Franky De Medts
2003-11-25 10:11:47 UTC
george, ok ou can be right.
but why just this one dbf file and all my other dbf files not
--
Franky De Medts
rossCOM - TIMVEST BVBA
Post by Geoff Schaller
Contact Microsoft <g>
www.rosscom.be
Geoff Schaller
2003-11-25 10:18:09 UTC
Because Excel comes with a number of filters and assumptions. There are
about 6 DBase converts I've seen and usually its to handle different memo
types. I'm not sure Excel understands or uses the index anyway but it
certainly needs to know how to pick up memos.

Geoff
Paul De Bie
2003-11-25 12:47:12 UTC
Franky,

it is a DBF with memofields?

Paul
Post by Franky De Medts
george, ok ou can be right.
but why just this one dbf file and all my other dbf files not
--
Franky De Medts
rossCOM - TIMVEST BVBA
www.rosscom.be
Post by Geoff Schaller
Contact Microsoft <g>
www.rosscom.be
Franky De Medts
2003-11-25 13:58:51 UTC
hi paul,

no memofields

i changed from ntx to cdx and the problem was solved
--
Franky De Medts
rossCOM - TIMVEST BVBA
Post by Marcos Nogueira
Franky,
it is a DBF with memofields?
Paul
Post by Franky De Medts
george, ok ou can be right.
but why just this one dbf file and all my other dbf files not
--
Franky De Medts
rossCOM - TIMVEST BVBA
www.rosscom.be
Post by Geoff Schaller
Contact Microsoft <g>
www.rosscom.be
Marcos Nogueira
2003-11-25 11:13:29 UTC
Franky,
Post by Franky De Medts
cavo26
windows 98 and windows xp
i frequently import dbf files in excel and that works fine
i have one dbf file which is not recognized by excel (neither in access)
the dbf file is with a ntx index (but i import just the dbf file)
Perhaps the file was created with SetANSI( TRUE ). Try recreating it with
SetANSI( FALSE ) and tell us what happens.

Marcos Nogueira
S. Paulo - Brazil

PS: I'd check the memoblocksize too. MN
Franky De Medts
2003-11-25 13:57:40 UTC
in the db editor i changed from ntx to cdx an the problem was solved
why.? i don't know, because in the app itself the ntx worked very well
--
Franky De Medts
rossCOM - TIMVEST BVBA
Post by Marcos Nogueira
Franky,
Armin Back
2003-11-26 08:23:08 UTC
Hi Franky,

only FYI: we also had problems with importing dbf-Files in Excel or Word on
different (customers) computers. Needless to say, that we never had any
problems here on the developers PC, so the problem came from different
import filters and versions of Excel or Word. After changing our
export-format from dbf to a csv-file we never had any problems.

HAND

Armin
www.rosscom.be
Geoff Schaller
2003-11-26 10:08:03 UTC
Armin,

Saw exactly the same thing when I was at Sven's house a few weeks back. I
had MS Office 2003 loaded and we were trying out some of DBMax's cool new
import export features. Wouldn't work. But it turned out that the default
drivers Excel was using were inappropriate. Change the default import format
and all was well.

Geoff
www.rosscom.be
Marcos Nogueira
2003-11-26 18:33:55 UTC
Geoff,
Post by Geoff Schaller
Saw exactly the same thing when I was at Sven's house a few weeks back. I
had MS Office 2003 loaded and we were trying out some of DBMax's cool new
import export features. Wouldn't work. But it turned out that the default
drivers Excel was using were inappropriate. Change the default import format
and all was well.
Once I had this problem in Excel 2000 and it turned out to be an ANSI/OEM
issue. Once created in OEM the DBF opened in Excel without problems. Excel
97 seems to not care.

Marcos Nogueira
S. Paulo - Brazil